Below, you will find answers to common questions about our programmes. If your question is not below, please get in touch and we will be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have.

How much will I earn?

The minimum wage for apprentices in the first year of their course is £4.30 per hour (rate from 1 April 2021). After your first year, you will earn at least the minimum wage for your age group, which can be found on the following link: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

How long will it take me to qualify?

The programme is a maximum of 48 months from start to finish but can be customised to suit individual abilities, however would not be less than three years.

Do I need to be employed to be on the course?

Yes, the Advanced Apprenticeship is only open to employed people. You will earn a wage whilst training.

Do I have to pay anything?

BET covers the costs of all training materials (apart from personal stationery requirements), registration costs, examination fees and logbooks.

Is there an age limit?

No, there is no age limit for undertaking an apprenticeship. The Government fully-fund any apprentice who starts between age 16-18. The Government funds 95% of costs for any apprentice aged 19+ at start, with the apprentices’ employer paying the remaining 5%.

What qualifications must I have to join the programme?

All applicants should hold GCSE qualifications Grade 4-9 or Grade A*-C in Mathematics and English (or equivalent qualifications) and pass our Initial Assessment and personal interview to be considered for the programme. Candidates without evidence of these grades can undertake Functional Skills Level 2 in Mathematics and English at BET, if required.

How long do I spend at BET?

In the first year, you will attend BET training centre for a total of ten weeks on block release of two weeks per block. In the second year, you attend BET for a total of ten weeks on block release of two weeks per block. In the third and fourth year you will complete the remaining knowledge units. This will gain you the City & Guilds 5357 qualification in Electrical Installation and any Functional Skills needed.

Is BET the same as College?

At BET you will gain the Advanced Apprenticeship framework enabling you to be graded as an electrician.

Many colleges may only give you the Technical Certificate and possibly Functional Skills. You will not be eligible for grading as an electrician without the AM2 test certificate and the NVQ Level 3.

Also, you will be employed and earning a wage from day one, trained on site by your employer and assessed by BET towards the NVQ Level 3.


We manage apprenticeships for a range of electrical contractors and provide on-site assessment and “off the job” training.

Read More


If you are interested in taking on an electrical apprentice, we have a wide range of options available.

Read More


Birmingham Electrical Training offer a wide range of electrical courses for all your training needs.

Read More